Tuesday, September 29, 2009

To the next adventure!

Hello dear readers. Both of you.

First off, apologies for the lack of updates, but internet is rather hard to come by in Kumasi. Even when I *do* get to it, cookies are an issue and often I can't write emails or update this blog or anything. But I'm here now, don't fret. And you're so excited (I can tell these things).

Kumasi has gone by so quickly! And as I have yet to experience a compacted bowel or exploded bladder (knock on wood?) I am going to declare my stay to be a success. We leave our homestays tomorrow to meet our group on school grounds by 8 am (meaning I'll only have to wake up at 6, instead of my usualy 5 am wakeup) in order to pack our things on a bus and head to... the village!

I'm super excited for this. Yemi, our program director (who tells us often to "go enjoy your life") has told us that in the village we will meet "authentic Ghanians". I'm not quite sure what that specifically means, but I'm sure it will be fun nonetheless. We're all spread across three villages in smaller groups, but everyone is within walking distance. So that's very nice. I'm with Natalie, Isabel, Amanda, and Mara. Our village isn't as close to the others, but it's no more than a 20 minute walk. So exciting.
In the village I'll also get to choose something to do for our mini-ISP. Rachel is thinking about doing dressmaking, Natalie wants to make drums, etc. It's a smaller exercize into what we'll be doing for the month of November. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do though. They don't have kente weaving, which is unfortunate, but it means thatI get to have some fun with a subject I wouldn't get to investigate otherwise. I'm thinking maybe basket weaving? Honestly, I think I'll have to wait to see what jumps at me when I get there.

I can't believe September is almost over. Happy Fall everyone back home! Enjoy my second-favorite season for me. I'm still a little upset I'm missing it completely, but I figure the fun I'm having here is making up for it.

On a completely unrelated note, I've taken to following the Black Stars (Ghana's football {soccer} team) and their progress to the World Cup, to be held in South Africa. The Black Stars were the first African team to qualify for the World Cup (ever), so everyone is really, really excited here. I think I'm gonig to try to go to the Ghana v. Mali game in November when we're on our ISP. It's been really amazing to be here and watch people talk about their team, everyone's incredibly proud. Whenever a game is on and a goal is scored, the entire city erupts. Almost everyone is watching them, and I wish them the best of luck.

Tonight we have a dance recital for our homestay families and Twi teachers. We're daning two traditional dances, and for the Kpatsia dance I get to stand right in front. I'll try to have someone take some photos, but just picture me flailing about madly while standing center stage and it will be like you witnessed it yourself.

Love,
Lo

PS: Hearing! I almost forgot! It turns out I did something to my eardrum, but I have some recovered hearing in my right ear. Thanks for the concern, everyone! I really appreciate it. But other than the slight hearing problem, I haven't had any other health issues (knock on wood), and everyone else on the program seems to be doing quite well. We've really been fortunate. So again, thanks for the concern. It was greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. By the by:

    Don't forget to send me your WoW account info so's I can log you in when the time comes and get you that Anniversary Pet. If you sent me that info before, I totally absolutely lost it.

    Glad to hear you're not deaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rejoice! I have finally emerged from the fume-infested, dark shadows of the chem lab to read your blog. I know you're excited.

    Oh my gosh, I laughed until I cried about your Auntie Boris. Hilarious. She sounds sort of like the not-as-evil long lost twin sister of Kharma. Seriously, they could at least be second cousins.

    I also snickered about your little bother eating the chicken. I had a similar experience in China. A friend and I went to an open air food market and after we had finished, I set my plates aside. I hadn't been able to finish everything, but there wasn't too much left. Suddenly I looked over and this guy just strolls up to our table and, like it was nothing at all, picks up my finished food and eats it. Right there. We were stunned, to say the least. Turns out it was quite common for hobos to hang around the market and feast off of people's finished plates. Smart cookies, those hobos.

    In any case, keep the blog entries coming! Oh, and I am sooooo calling you Obruni Lo, or annoying variations there of, from now on. Be prepared, Brun-brun.

    ~ Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor ear! Get well soon, and hope you continue to have a fantastic time - and glad to hear you're fending off the worst of the health issues :).

    And I like that advice - "go enjoy your life."

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete