Saturday, September 5, 2009

Homestay, Adventures, etc.

While the majority of my family is in Grumbleknot (Meredith, NH) with "beatuiful weather", according to my sister, I am in Accra. The weather, while hot, is not as humid as Indiana, but on the downside the dry heat means a really sweaty day. Add that to the fact that in my homestay, the bathroom is shared by 11 people and also serves as the laundry room and... it is rather difficult to shower. And even then, it is a bucket shower (saves water! Awkward situations! Woooo study abroad!).

As for this blog, I am encountering some issues with how to go about an update, or even write an entry. In India I had ample access to the internet, and worked most of the day by a computer where I could take the time to write out, edit, and review entries before I posted them. And should I not be able to finish at work, I had brought my computer along (RIP Owen). However, in Accra I neither have my computer or reliable access to the internet. Herm.

Needless to say, I will keep trying.

Some highlights: my homestay family (Auntie Emma, Papa Samuel, their three sons (and another on the way), Auntie Emma's sister, her husband, their baby, Emma's mother, and another Samuel, as well as a hired girl named Sara) is baptist. We are going to church tomorrow. I think it should be fun.

Tro-tros are the main mode of transportation here. Large cars/vans, they are driven by people and stop at certain spots to pick people up. For example, to go home from the university where I attend class, I have to take three tro-tros. One at the Legon stop, to the Church of Fire stop, to the Minister of Oaths stop. I then have to walk about a mile to the house. However, my homestay is VERY close to campus when compared to the journeys of my fellow students, Claire and Rachel's especially (On that note, several of my fellow students are blogging as well-- if you are curious about things or simply want another take on Ghana, check their blogs out! I've linked them in the sidebar to the right.)

Food. Oh my goodness food. While not Chickenburgers (thank you Lord), some of the food has been... interesting. I have never been a picky eater when abroad, I eat what I can and I try new things. What's the point of travel if you don't do this? But I have encountered a slight problem while here. Consistancy. Many of the foods here are mushy, doughy lumps in a stew of sorts. Eaten with the hands, you use the dough (hot, but uncooked and... slimy) to pick the soup up and eat it. The first couple of days were fine, but now... let's just say I'm really liking the rice and beans.

The first day at my homesay, I was eating by myself (a common occurance, with a family as large as mine it is hard to coordinate everyone to eat at the same time, so they serve me by myself) and I was eating chicken in a stew. There was a bowl to put the chicken bones in to the side, and finished with some I had cast away the bones. Kufei (the youngest son of the family-- turning three at the end of the month) came up, took the bones, and started eating the bits I had left on.

Needless to say it was surprising.

Running out of time again. Oye. I'll end here, with more intended for later. A bunch of us (Claire, Lydia, Rachel, Mara, Natalie, Megan, Jessie, and the other Megan) are venturing to the beach today. It will be our first unchaperoned excursion. Should be entertaining, to say the least.

Until later!

Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment