Monday, September 7, 2009

An ode to mush

Food. FOOD.

While some may call me a picky eater, while traveling I have never had much of a problem with food. I have mentioned this before, but I believe strongly that when abroad, you shoud take every opportunity to enjoy the local cuisine and try everything at least once. While I have had some... interesting food experiences (ranging from chicken feet to cow's head), and a few bumps along the way (see: infinite chickenburgers in India), I have never in my travels been stranded without a way to feed myself.

Yet now that I have been in Ghana, gotten to know the people, the scenery, and the cuisine, I may be facing a tiny problem.

Not to say that finding food for me is hard. Not at all. In fact, the opposate is true. My homestay family feeds me gargantuan proportions of food. For breakfast this morning, for example, I had a plate of bananas, a bowl full of a porridge-like soup, bread, tea, four oranges, and a tangerine. And then I was given two oranges and a banana to snack upon while at school. So, despite me being in Africa, my program ensures that food is available to me when I should need it.

No, the problem I've been facing is the consistancy of the food. Everything here is mush. Mushy bananas, mushy plantains, mushy fufu (a dough ball in a soup, a dish native to Ghana). Everything I eat here is mush. While at first not a problem, the tedious amount of mush is starting to get to me.

Fufu, which is the Ghanian dish to eat, is basically a mush ball made of pounded plantains and other things. It is not meant to be chewed, but instead soaked in a soup (often spicy peanut flavored), and sucked down.

Yuuuuuum.

But complain as I do, the food really is fine. And food is better than no food at all, so mush mash I will, until something better presents itself.

That's all for now!
Love,
Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment