Monday, September 21, 2009

Baby Steps

Well, I made it through the weekend.
Weekends, I have observed in my time here thus far, are the hardest part of the program. Whereas during the week you have classes and activities to occupy your time, the weekends are unstructured, free time with your host family. Sometimes, like in Accra, this is fine. Your host family takes you to see the sights, eat a really good meal, visit their church, etc. Other times, however, when your homestay family is... less than that... you get a different experience entirely.
I was mostly able to avoid my homestay by bumming at fellow classmate's houses, and then doing an all day Batik workshop on Saturday. I'd write more but this keyboard is KILLING me, so you'll just have to be content with this small, bland, update.
On the homefront, Auntie Doris and I continue to have our bathroom-key war. She seems to think it is completely ridiculous to use the toilet more than once every thirty six hours. I, being a senseless Obruni, tend to disagree. However, I take my small victories when I can. Since she does not speak much English at all, and in fact (as far as I can tell) enjoys lecturing me whenever possible, I have taken to calling her Auntie Boris. I think the name suits her better anyway.
I also got to experience the Ghanian healthcare system this weekend, but it was most uneffective because apparently the doctors don't come in on the weekends. Nothing to be concerned about-- I've lost most of the hearing in my right ear, but I don't think it's terribly serious. I'll know soon, whenever they find a doctor somewhere. Besides, even if it gets worse and I have to get a hearing aid I will be THAT MUCH CLOSER TO BEING A CYBORG. NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO STOP ME.

I must go now and escape this horrid keyboard. Love to you all.
Lo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lo, I am Lydia's mom. I am troubled that this host auntie seems to intent on making life difficult -- I assume they are getting paid since at least at Lydia's school they charged us for housing! Have you talked to the program people there about her? Maybe it is some weird misunderstanding.
    I am also a physician so I hope that today you find someone to check on your ear! Let us know.
    Tell Lydia hi. I pray everyday for all of you kids that you stay safe and have a wonderful experience.'
    Yvonne Stratton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? Is your hearing wonking out again? For longer than usual this time? Hope it's nothing serious. Serious..er.

    ReplyDelete